Jiang Mi (江敉)
Jiang Mi (1912-1989) was born in Zhenhai, Zhejiang Province. In 1930, he started making woodcuts, selling them for a living from 1933 on. After the start of the anti-Japanese War, he moved from Shanghai to Wuhan and contributed anti-Japanese propaganda art to journals such as 抗战漫画 (Resistance Cartoons) and 抗战画报 (Resistance Illustrated). After 1939, he taught at various schools. In 1945, he became a commercial artist in Chongqing, submitting sketches to various news and evening papers. He became an assistant professor at the South China People’s Art Academy in 1950, and six years later, he joined the faculty of the Sichuan Art Academy. His woodcuts have been exhibited at home and abroad, and have been included in the collection of the Chinese Art Museum.
Zhongguo meishuguan (ed.), 中国美术年鉴 1949-1989 (Guilin: Guangxi meishu chubanshe, 1993)