Li Hongxiang (1922), from Xingcheng, Liaoning Province, taught himself drawing. In 1949, he started working in an arts supply store and in 1953, he transferred to the Art Work Office of the Heilongjiang Provincial Cultural Office. Li became head of the editorial office of the Heilongjiang Illustrated (Heilongjiang huabao, 黑龙江画报) in 1957. In 1970, he transferred to the Heilongjiang Provincial Library and in 1979, he became the head of the Exhibition Department of the Heilongjiang Provincial Art Gallery. Li retired in 1984.
Li excelled in, and was awarded prizes for, his New Year pictures and propaganda pictures.