Zhang Yuejian (1924-2003) was from Pujiang, Zhejiang Province. In 1950, he graduated from the Hangzhou National Art Training School. He worked as a designer for the Shanghai People's Fine Arts Publishing House and the Shanghai Educational Publishing House. In 1979, he transferred to the Chinese Painting Department of the Zhejiang Art Academy, where he became an associate professor.
Zhang was well-versed in flower-and-bird painting, but also produced landscapes, portraits and calligraphy.