Wang Yongyang (1934) is from Shanghai. He started his art education in 1948 in the Western Art Department of the Shanghai Art School and went on to the Shanghai Branch of the Central Art Academy in 1950. In 1954, after his graduation, Wang took part in the founding of the Tianjin Fine Arts Publishing House, where he continued to work as an editor. After 1974, he became involved in mass arts movements, which resulted in him becoming vice head of the Tianjin Municipal Mass Arts Center in 1980.
Wang is known for his water colors, block prints and cartoon strips. He collaborated with Gu Zhujun.